Big Questions: What makes oceans so salty?


https://newsela.com/read/elem-big-q-salt-in-oceans/id/44202/

      The ocean gets its salt from the the rocks. When the waves and rain cause erosion to the rocks, salt comes out of the rocks into the ocean. Oceans were not originally salty; they became salty over time. I was shocked to read that rivers aren't as salty as the ocean. I knew the ocean was made up of salt water and I knew rivers were typically fresh water, but I never thought about why rivers weren't salty. They have so many rocks lined up against the river, I am surprised the rocks don't give off more salt into the river.

Comments

  1. I never knew the salt came from the rocks... Now I can feel less weird about getting ocean water in my mouth. This was really fascinating to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now knowing that the ocean became salty from rocks, I'm curious as to how long that process was from freshwater to saltwater. It also makes me think that if the ocean would have never became salty many people would no longer have problems with accessing freshwater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting to read and it does make sense, I am shocked as well to understand why rivers aren't salty either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dual-fuel vehicles

Acid Zone in Chesapeake Bay Found