Ozone Hole is its Smallest Since 1988

The higher temperatures of this year caused the hole in the ozone layer to become the smallest it has been since 1988.  The higher temperatures in the stratosphere acts to stabilize the ozone layer, which shrinks the hole year to year.  In September 2017, NASA measured the ozone hole to be 7.6 million square miles.  Currently, this makes the hole 1.3 million square miles smaller than it was in September of 2016.  Scientists pointed out that these hole sizes are way below average. Unfortunately, these two years that the ozone's hole was below average size does not mean the ozone layer is healing faster than expected.  These smaller than usual holes are a result of the Antarctic vortex not proliferation the polar stratospheric clouds.  Scientists predict that the ozone hole will not be completely healed until 2070.

I knew very little about the size of the hole in the ozone layer until I read this article.  I found it very interesting, and I was amazed to learn that the ozone hole was shrinking during the last two years.  I was also more amazed at the fact that the hole's size is decreasing due to warm weather and higher temperatures.  I think this article is important because it discusses something positive that came out of global warming, which is, generally, not the case.  I wish the article talked more about how and why the ozone hole should heal by 2070.

Click here to learn more about the hole in the ozone layer.   

Comments

  1. I think this article is very interesting as I was not aware that the ozone layer hole was shrinking. This seems like a boulder off the shoulders of many people which is good. I would predict that perhaps as a result from more emission controls and newer fuel technologies that the ozone layer might even heal sooner than 2070. I don't have an article for it, but I read somewhere that France is on track to ban the sales of all diesel and gasoline engines by 2040.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was very interesting! I had no idea that the ozone hole was shrinking due to the higher temperatures of the planet. I am glad that at global warming has some type of benefit to the environment. I hope we are able to continue to shrink the hole and heal it as or before predicted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dual-fuel vehicles

Acid Zone in Chesapeake Bay Found