Urban Coyote Evolution Favors The Bold

Image result for urban coyote
Summary
Coyotes are becoming an increasing risk in urban areas. They are coming into contact with people and pets more and more as time goes on. Researchers decided to find out what is making coyotes so comfortable around humans and how to prevent these interactions. They are led to believe that it begins with the parenting. They believe the fearlessness is passed down from parent to offspring. 

They went to a wildlife conservatory in Utah to observe the captive, but mostly wild, coyotes that reside there. When the keepers feed them, they usually made as little contact with the coyotes as possible, to limit the human interaction. However, when they started staying after they fed them, the coyotes became more comfortable with the human presence. After generations, the coyotes had no fear whatsoever towards the humans. They became bolder with each passing generation. This reveals that as humans, to prevent exposure to these predators, we need to make our yards as univiting as possible, do not leave any food out. People need to send a signal to coyotes that being bold is not an advantage.
Reaction
Coyotes are becoming more of a risk in large scale cities like Los Angeles, New York, and other large cities because they are becoming bolder. This is very frightening to me, even someone who lives in a small town, because I own animals and I want to prevent coyotes from ever attacking me or my family. In doing this, I will be showing the coyotes that the bold are not at an advantage. I will never leave food out, I will securely close all trash cans, and I will make sure my dog stays in my yard where I can see her at all times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dual-fuel vehicles

Acid Zone in Chesapeake Bay Found