Laternfly problem

As everyone knows, Laternflies have become an extremely invasive species. They are destroying trees which are slowly taking habitats from other native animals and other insects. Our state is now encouraging use to kill them if we see them, and to call your local township if you find egg masses. This will very slowly decrease their population, but for everyone you kill, about 10 more are being added into their population. Reporters are now saying that if you purchase a Christmas tree that you cut down yourself, you are risking the laternfly eggs hatching in your home. In order to prevent these bug from becoming worse, is to encourage everyone to kill them when they see them, and make your friends aware. As of right now, there is only one real known predator to these invasive things, and that is the preying-mantis. If we all work together to kill these bugs, and report their egg masses when they are found, we can slowly get rid of them completely.

Click here 

Comments

  1. Living in the area where the outbreak began, I agree there is risk still, but the population has definitely died off making the risk minimal. Do you believe that eventually the lanternfly will integrate into the ecosystem like the stinkbug?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that the lanternfly population is an invasive species and that they are a big problem when it comes to crops and agriculture, but as Issac mentioned, I believe they will become a normal part of society, like stinkbugs. Stinkbugs are very common, especially in the fall, like the lanternfly. I do feel there needs to be a better way to control the lanternfly population, other than to just encouraging citizens to kill them. I would like to see their population diminish, but I do not know of a better idea to be rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this issue in the trees around Wegmans where I work. I do believe that we should be killing them on spot and reporting the egg masses but I don't feel in the long run it will do anything on a major scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I won't be buying a tree this Christmas, y'all. Did you hear that there is actually a new fungus that scientists have found is fatal to the lantern flies? They're beginning to grow it in heavily populated areas in an attempt to control the growth and hopefully kill off lantern flies for good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the lanternfly population has become an invasive species and continue to be a huge issue to the agriculture industry. I believe we need to find a more efficient way to kill them faster. I also agree with Jorden and Isaac that they will eventually become just like Stinkbugs and the US will not have as many. I have not seen as many lanternflys around as I did last year, so it can be inferred that more are either migrating or being killed off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dual-fuel vehicles

Acid Zone in Chesapeake Bay Found