Zombie bugs!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-roaches-fight-wasps-turn-their-victims-zombies?tgt=nr
Emerald jewel wasps and american cockroaches have a never ending feud between each specie. The wasps turn their enemies into so-called zombies. With just two stings to a cockroach, they can be a walking skeleton with a small amount of meat. The wasp stings through the throat of the roach and makes its way to the brain. The roach would then only be able to move if the wasp allows it to by pulling on its antenna. As a defense, the roach can kick the wasp away like if a soccer player kicked a ball across the whole soccer field. Ok, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but it's something of that sort.
I heard once before that there's a such thing as a bug that created zombies, but I never believed it. Now I do and quite frankly I'm a little bit scared.

Comments

  1. I didn't know small bugs could have enemies against other bugs, like humans! It is kind of funny thinking about cockroaches fighting with a wasp because they are enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew this could happen. This is really freaky and gross because I don't like bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While this is a strange way of fighting natural enemies, I think it is very cool how these wasps evolved to have this behavior and ability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that bees and cockroaches were enemies, but the bee's tactic is very smart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dual-fuel vehicles

Acid Zone in Chesapeake Bay Found